Creamy Turnip Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
In this recipe, the humble turnip is transformed into a rich turnip soup made creamy with just 1 tablespoon of butter. Serve it as a starter or side soup. The mini salad on top is optional, but we love the bit of texture from the greens and pop of flavor from the vinaigrette.
- 4 medium turnips (about 1 1/2 pounds) plus 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced turnip greens or spinach, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Peel and slice turnips. Heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the turnips, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper; stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 10 minutes.
- Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the turnips are tender, 10 to 12 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, toss the turnip greens (or spinach) in a medium bowl with carrot, scallion greens, vinegar, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup in the pan using an immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender and blend until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Serve each portion of soup topped with a generous 1/4 cup of the salad.
Per serving: 110 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 659 mg sodium; 401 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (49% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2012