Creamy Turnip Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
In this recipe, the humble turnip is transformed into a rich turnip soup made creamy with just 1 tablespoon of butter. Serve it as a starter or side soup. The mini salad on top is optional, but we love the bit of texture from the greens and pop of flavor from the vinaigrette.
- 4 medium turnips (about 1 1/2 pounds) plus 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced turnip greens or spinach, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Peel and slice turnips. Heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the turnips, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper; stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 10 minutes.
- Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the turnips are tender, 10 to 12 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, toss the turnip greens (or spinach) in a medium bowl with carrot, scallion greens, vinegar, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup in the pan using an immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender and blend until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Serve each portion of soup topped with a generous 1/4 cup of the salad.
Per serving: 110 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 659 mg sodium; 401 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (49% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2012