Creamy Turnip Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
In this recipe, the humble turnip is transformed into a rich turnip soup made creamy with just 1 tablespoon of butter. Serve it as a starter or side soup. The mini salad on top is optional, but we love the bit of texture from the greens and pop of flavor from the vinaigrette.
- 4 medium turnips (about 1 1/2 pounds) plus 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced turnip greens or spinach, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Peel and slice turnips. Heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the turnips, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper; stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 10 minutes.
- Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the turnips are tender, 10 to 12 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, toss the turnip greens (or spinach) in a medium bowl with carrot, scallion greens, vinegar, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup in the pan using an immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender and blend until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Serve each portion of soup topped with a generous 1/4 cup of the salad.
Per serving: 110 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 659 mg sodium; 401 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (49% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2012