Italians usually get the credit for inventing pizza, but some people believe that Turkish pide (flatbreads with toppings) may have come first. This recipe is an adaptation of a pizza discovered in a street-side cafe in the Mediterranean coastal city of Antalya.
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 12 ounces Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, (recipe follows) or other prepared dough
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin-olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups grated fontina, or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes, (2 medium)
- 1 cup diced sweet onion, such as Vidalia (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeno pepper, (1 pepper)
- 2 ounces sliced pastrami, diced (1/2 cup), optional
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, torn
- Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack; preheat oven to 500° F or highest setting. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray and dust with cornmeal.
- Prepare Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, if using.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 15-by-10-inch oval. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Turn edges under to make a slight rim. Brush the rim with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Sprinkle cheese over the crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with tomatoes, onion, jalapeno and pastrami, if using. Season with pepper. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Place the baking sheet on the heated pizza stone (or baking sheet) and bake the pizza until the bottom is crisp and golden, 10 to 14 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- To bake this recipe directly on a pizza stone, make two 14-by-7-inch oval pizzas.
Per slice: 286 calories; 14 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 3 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 281 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 20% dv Vitamin A, 13 mg Vitamin C (20% dv), 171 mg Calcium (15% dv), 15% dv Fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique