Turkish Red Pepper Spread
Enriched with walnuts and olive oil, a jar of roasted peppers quickly turns into muhammara, a spread from southeast Turkey. Serve on Toasted Pita Crisps or crisp sesame crackers
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Adjust seasoning with more lemon juice and salt, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per tablespoon: 41 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 115 mg sodium; 14 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more