Turkish Lamb & Eggplant Kebabs
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Here we combine baharat, a traditional Arabic spice blend, with olive oil, lemon, garlic and tomato paste to make it into a savory rub to flavor lamb-and-vegetable kebabs.
Baharat (Turkish Spice Paste) & Lamb
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 Japanese or other small eggplant (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges for serving
- To prepare spice paste & marinate lamb: Combine 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, paprika, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cayenne to taste, cinnamon and allspice in a medium bowl. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the mixture to a small bowl and set aside. Add lamb to the remaining spice paste and stir until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- To prepare kebabs: Preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat or prepare a medium-high-heat fire in a charcoal grill.
- Lay eggplant slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thread the lamb and onion alternately onto skewers.
- Rinse the eggplant and pat dry with paper towels. Thread horizontally onto skewers (through the skin) so the eggplant will lie flat on the grill. Stir 1/4 cup oil into the reserved spice paste in the small bowl; brush the mixture all over the eggplant.
- Place the lamb kebabs in the center, hotter part of the grill. Place the eggplant kebabs around the outside, cooler part of the grill. (Grill the kebabs in two batches if necessary.) Grill the lamb, turning every 2 to 3 minutes, until the meat is nicely browned on the outside, but still a little pink in the center, 10 to 12 minutes total. Grill the eggplant, turning once or twice, until soft and browned on both sides, 9 to 11 minutes total. Remove to a clean large serving platter. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate lamb (Step 1) for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 10 to 12 (12-inch) skewers
- Note: Paprika labeled “Hungarian” is worth seeking out for this recipe because it delivers a fuller, richer flavor than regular paprika. Find it at well-stocked supermarkets, specialty-foods stores or online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 262 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 499 mg sodium; 374 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Middle Eastern
- 8 or more
- July/August 2011
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)