Turkey Tenderloin with Whiskey-Cherry Sauce
Simmer antioxidant-rich cherries in a quick pan sauce spiked with whiskey and cranberry juice; it's luscious on turkey tenderloin (a lean but flavorful, quick-cooking cut you might have overlooked in the poultry case). Make it a meal: Serve with egg noodles.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey tenderloin, (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pitted and chopped fresh or frozen cherries
- 1 cup cranberry juice, divided
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Season turkey with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn it over and transfer the pan to the oven. Roast until the turkey is no longer pink in the middle and registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the turkey to a clean cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. (Be careful, the handle will still be hot.) Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add cherries, 3/4 cup cranberry juice, whiskey, thyme, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits, until reduced, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup juice and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Slice the turkey and serve with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Check the label to avoid turkey tenderloin “enhanced” with a sodium solution.
Per serving: 210 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 262 mg sodium; 121 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (41% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation