Turkey Tenderloin with Whiskey-Cherry Sauce
Simmer antioxidant-rich cherries in a quick pan sauce spiked with whiskey and cranberry juice; it's luscious on turkey tenderloin (a lean but flavorful, quick-cooking cut you might have overlooked in the poultry case). Make it a meal: Serve with egg noodles.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey tenderloin, (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pitted and chopped fresh or frozen cherries
- 1 cup cranberry juice, divided
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Season turkey with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn it over and transfer the pan to the oven. Roast until the turkey is no longer pink in the middle and registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the turkey to a clean cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. (Be careful, the handle will still be hot.) Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add cherries, 3/4 cup cranberry juice, whiskey, thyme, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits, until reduced, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup juice and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Slice the turkey and serve with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Check the label to avoid turkey tenderloin “enhanced” with a sodium solution.
Per serving: 210 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 262 mg sodium; 121 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (41% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Father's Day