Turkey Tenderloin with Whiskey-Cherry Sauce
Simmer antioxidant-rich cherries in a quick pan sauce spiked with whiskey and cranberry juice; it's luscious on turkey tenderloin (a lean but flavorful, quick-cooking cut you might have overlooked in the poultry case). Make it a meal: Serve with egg noodles.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey tenderloin, (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pitted and chopped fresh or frozen cherries
- 1 cup cranberry juice, divided
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Season turkey with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn it over and transfer the pan to the oven. Roast until the turkey is no longer pink in the middle and registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the turkey to a clean cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. (Be careful, the handle will still be hot.) Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add cherries, 3/4 cup cranberry juice, whiskey, thyme, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits, until reduced, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup juice and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Slice the turkey and serve with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Check the label to avoid turkey tenderloin “enhanced” with a sodium solution.
Per serving: 210 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 262 mg sodium; 121 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (41% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient