Turkey Tenderloin with Whiskey-Cherry Sauce
Simmer antioxidant-rich cherries in a quick pan sauce spiked with whiskey and cranberry juice; it's luscious on turkey tenderloin (a lean but flavorful, quick-cooking cut you might have overlooked in the poultry case). Make it a meal: Serve with egg noodles.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey tenderloin, (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pitted and chopped fresh or frozen cherries
- 1 cup cranberry juice, divided
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Season turkey with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn it over and transfer the pan to the oven. Roast until the turkey is no longer pink in the middle and registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the turkey to a clean cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. (Be careful, the handle will still be hot.) Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add cherries, 3/4 cup cranberry juice, whiskey, thyme, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits, until reduced, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup juice and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Slice the turkey and serve with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Check the label to avoid turkey tenderloin “enhanced” with a sodium solution.
Per serving: 210 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 262 mg sodium; 121 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (41% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient