Turkey Sausage & Peppers Burger for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
If you love the classic flavors of the Italian sausage and peppers sandwich, this healthy burger recipe, inspired by that flavor combination, is for you. If you don’t have a grill basket, fold a 24-inch piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this will prevent the vegetables from sliding through the grill rack.
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 link sweet or hot turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 small whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Place a grill basket on one side of grill. Preheat to medium-high.
- Toss onion, bell pepper, oil, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and pepper in a medium bowl. Transfer to the preheated grill basket. Cook, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ground turkey, sausage, breadcrumbs, fennel seeds, garlic powder and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning in a medium bowl. Shape into two 4-inch patties. Oil the grill rack (see Tip), place the burgers on it and cook for 4 minutes. Turn them over, top with the grilled vegetables and cheese; continue grilling until the burgers are cooked through and the cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes more. Serve on buns.
Tips & Notes
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 414 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 572 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin B12 (24% dv), Calcium, Iron & Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014