Turkey Sausage & Peppers Burger
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
If you love the classic flavors of the Italian sausage and peppers sandwich, this healthy burger recipe, inspired by that flavor combination, is for you. If you don’t have a grill basket, fold a 24-inch piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this will prevent the vegetables from sliding through the grill rack.
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 10 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 links sweet or hot turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 small whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Place a grill basket on one side of grill. Preheat to medium-high.
- Toss onion, bell pepper, oil, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer to the preheated grill basket. Cook, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are soft, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ground turkey, sausage, breadcrumbs, fennel seeds, garlic powder and the remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning in a medium bowl. Shape into four 4-inch patties. Oil the grill rack (see Tip), place the burgers on it and cook for 4 minutes. Turn them over, top with the grilled vegetables and cheese; continue grilling until the burgers are cooked through and the cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes more. Serve on buns.
Tips & Notes
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 409 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 31 g protein; 5 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 548 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin B12 (24% dv), Calcium, Iron & Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2014