Turkey Sausage & Peppers Burger
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
If you love the classic flavors of the Italian sausage and peppers sandwich, this healthy burger recipe, inspired by that flavor combination, is for you. If you don’t have a grill basket, fold a 24-inch piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this will prevent the vegetables from sliding through the grill rack.
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 10 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 links sweet or hot turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 small whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Place a grill basket on one side of grill. Preheat to medium-high.
- Toss onion, bell pepper, oil, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer to the preheated grill basket. Cook, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are soft, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ground turkey, sausage, breadcrumbs, fennel seeds, garlic powder and the remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning in a medium bowl. Shape into four 4-inch patties. Oil the grill rack (see Tip), place the burgers on it and cook for 4 minutes. Turn them over, top with the grilled vegetables and cheese; continue grilling until the burgers are cooked through and the cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes more. Serve on buns.
Tips & Notes
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 409 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 31 g protein; 5 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 548 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin B12 (24% dv), Calcium, Iron & Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2014