Turkey Sausage & Peppers Burger
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
If you love the classic flavors of the Italian sausage and peppers sandwich, this healthy burger recipe, inspired by that flavor combination, is for you. If you don’t have a grill basket, fold a 24-inch piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this will prevent the vegetables from sliding through the grill rack.
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 10 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 links sweet or hot turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 small whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Place a grill basket on one side of grill. Preheat to medium-high.
- Toss onion, bell pepper, oil, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer to the preheated grill basket. Cook, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are soft, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ground turkey, sausage, breadcrumbs, fennel seeds, garlic powder and the remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning in a medium bowl. Shape into four 4-inch patties. Oil the grill rack (see Tip), place the burgers on it and cook for 4 minutes. Turn them over, top with the grilled vegetables and cheese; continue grilling until the burgers are cooked through and the cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes more. Serve on buns.
Tips & Notes
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 409 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 31 g protein; 5 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 548 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin B12 (24% dv), Calcium, Iron & Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2014