Turkey Sausage & Arugula Pasta
The cheese in this dish is the key to the balance of flavors. For the biggest impact, make sure to use imported Italian cheese.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat short pasta, such as shells or twists
- 8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links, removed from casings
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 cups arugula, or baby spinach
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 9 to 11 minutes, or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, arugula (or spinach) and tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, until the greens wilt and the tomatoes begin to break down, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
- Combine 1/2 cup cheese, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Measure out 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid; drain the pasta. Whisk the cooking liquid and oil into the cheese mixture; add the pasta and toss to combine. Serve the pasta topped with the sausage mixture and an extra sprinkle of cheese, if desired.
Per serving: 352 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 6 g fiber; 382 mg sodium; 379 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (30% daily value), Fiber (26% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2.5 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique