Using lemon segments gives the sauce of this turkey piccata a sweetness and body that lemon juice alone would not achieve. Capers are the pickled flower buds of the caper bush; the berries are pickled seed pods. Make it a meal: Serve over whole-wheat angel hair pasta. Arugula-Mushroom Salad makes a nice first course.
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 turkey cutlets, (about 1 pound), each cutlet sliced in half across the grain
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 12 caper berries, for garnish (optional)
- Remove skin and white pith from lemon with a sharp knife. Working over a bowl to catch the juice, cut the lemon segments from their surrounding membranes. Chop segments coarsely and reserve with the juice.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge turkey in the flour mixture and pat off excess. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey to the pan and cook until the outside is golden brown and the interior is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for several seconds. Pour in broth and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up any browned bits. Boil for 1 minute. Stir in the reserved lemon segments and juice, capers and sugar; cook for 30 seconds longer. Add butter and swirl the skillet until it has melted.
- Spoon sauce over the cutlets, sprinkle with parsley and pepper. Garnish with caper berries, if using.
Per serving: 206 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 1 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry