Using lemon segments gives the sauce of this turkey piccata a sweetness and body that lemon juice alone would not achieve. Capers are the pickled flower buds of the caper bush; the berries are pickled seed pods. Make it a meal: Serve over whole-wheat angel hair pasta. Arugula-Mushroom Salad makes a nice first course.
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 turkey cutlets, (about 1 pound), each cutlet sliced in half across the grain
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 12 caper berries, for garnish (optional)
- Remove skin and white pith from lemon with a sharp knife. Working over a bowl to catch the juice, cut the lemon segments from their surrounding membranes. Chop segments coarsely and reserve with the juice.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge turkey in the flour mixture and pat off excess. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey to the pan and cook until the outside is golden brown and the interior is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for several seconds. Pour in broth and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up any browned bits. Boil for 1 minute. Stir in the reserved lemon segments and juice, capers and sugar; cook for 30 seconds longer. Add butter and swirl the skillet until it has melted.
- Spoon sauce over the cutlets, sprinkle with parsley and pepper. Garnish with caper berries, if using.
Per serving: 206 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 1 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient