Using lemon segments gives the sauce of this turkey piccata a sweetness and body that lemon juice alone would not achieve. Capers are the pickled flower buds of the caper bush; the berries are pickled seed pods. Make it a meal: Serve over whole-wheat angel hair pasta. Arugula-Mushroom Salad makes a nice first course.
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 turkey cutlets, (about 1 pound), each cutlet sliced in half across the grain
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 12 caper berries, for garnish (optional)
- Remove skin and white pith from lemon with a sharp knife. Working over a bowl to catch the juice, cut the lemon segments from their surrounding membranes. Chop segments coarsely and reserve with the juice.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge turkey in the flour mixture and pat off excess. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey to the pan and cook until the outside is golden brown and the interior is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for several seconds. Pour in broth and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up any browned bits. Boil for 1 minute. Stir in the reserved lemon segments and juice, capers and sugar; cook for 30 seconds longer. Add butter and swirl the skillet until it has melted.
- Spoon sauce over the cutlets, sprinkle with parsley and pepper. Garnish with caper berries, if using.
Per serving: 206 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 1 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique