Turkey-Mushroom Burgers with Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise
In this healthy turkey burger recipe, lean ground turkey stands in for ground beef, and mushrooms are added to produce a thick and uncommonly juicy, flavorful turkey burger. An easy, lightened mayo sauce provides the perfect accent.
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 8 ounces white mushrooms
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast (see Tips)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 whole-wheat buns
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 tomato slices
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare burgers: Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Pulse mushrooms in the food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add to breadcrumbs and let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare mayonnaise: Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, scallions, lemon zest, lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl; whisk until blended.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Add ground turkey, egg, dill, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the mushroom mixture; mix well with a potato masher. With dampened hands, form the mixture into 6 patties, 1/2 inch thick, using about 1/8 cup for each.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Brush the patties with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Grill until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 165°F.) Meanwhile, split buns and toast on the grill for 30 to 60 seconds. Serve burgers on buns with the mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare patties through Step 5. Wrap individually and refrigerate for up to 8 hours or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking. Cover and refrigerate mayonnaise (Step 3) for up to 2 days.
- Tips: Check labels carefully and select ground turkey breast. Regular ground turkey, which is a mixture of dark and white meat, has a higher fat content (similar to that of lean ground beef).
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Per serving : 321 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 77 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 23 g protein; 5 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 563 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value), Potassium & Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient