Turkey-Mushroom Burgers with Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise
In this healthy turkey burger recipe, lean ground turkey stands in for ground beef, and mushrooms are added to produce a thick and uncommonly juicy, flavorful turkey burger. An easy, lightened mayo sauce provides the perfect accent.
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 8 ounces white mushrooms
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast (see Tips)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 whole-wheat buns
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 tomato slices
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare burgers: Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Pulse mushrooms in the food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add to breadcrumbs and let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare mayonnaise: Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, scallions, lemon zest, lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl; whisk until blended.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Add ground turkey, egg, dill, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the mushroom mixture; mix well with a potato masher. With dampened hands, form the mixture into 6 patties, 1/2 inch thick, using about 1/8 cup for each.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Brush the patties with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Grill until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 165°F.) Meanwhile, split buns and toast on the grill for 30 to 60 seconds. Serve burgers on buns with the mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare patties through Step 5. Wrap individually and refrigerate for up to 8 hours or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking. Cover and refrigerate mayonnaise (Step 3) for up to 2 days.
- Tips: Check labels carefully and select ground turkey breast. Regular ground turkey, which is a mixture of dark and white meat, has a higher fat content (similar to that of lean ground beef).
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
- Storage smarts: For long-term freezer storage, wrap your food in a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of foil. The plastic will help prevent freezer burn while the foil will help keep off-odors from seeping into the food.
Per serving : 321 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 77 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 23 g protein; 5 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 563 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value), Potassium & Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient