Turkey Mini Meatloaves
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
While turkey can too often lend a depressingly gummy texture to meatloaf, we've improved on the standard by adding couscous, zucchini and lots of spices. The best thing of all? They cook in half the time of a full-size meatloaf and you can have leftovers for a sandwich the next day on toasted whole-grain bread.
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked whole-wheat couscous
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Generously spray a nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Gently mix turkey, zucchini, onion, bell pepper, couscous, egg, Worcestershire, mustard, pepper and salt in a large bowl, preferably with your hands, without overworking. Equally divide the mixture among the muffin cups. Spread barbecue sauce on top of each loaf, if using.
- Bake until the meatloaves are cooked through or an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165 degrees F, about 25 minutes. Let the loaves stand in the pan for 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 196 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 95 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 432 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Selenium (24% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation