Turkey Mini Meatloaves
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
While turkey can too often lend a depressingly gummy texture to meatloaf, we've improved on the standard by adding couscous, zucchini and lots of spices. The best thing of all? They cook in half the time of a full-size meatloaf and you can have leftovers for a sandwich the next day on toasted whole-grain bread.
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked whole-wheat couscous
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Generously spray a nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Gently mix turkey, zucchini, onion, bell pepper, couscous, egg, Worcestershire, mustard, pepper and salt in a large bowl, preferably with your hands, without overworking. Equally divide the mixture among the muffin cups. Spread barbecue sauce on top of each loaf, if using.
- Bake until the meatloaves are cooked through or an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165 degrees F, about 25 minutes. Let the loaves stand in the pan for 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 196 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 95 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 432 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Selenium (24% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less