Turkey Ma Po Tofu
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Ma Po Tofu is a traditional Chinese recipe usually made with ground pork. This delicious, healthy version uses ground turkey to cut saturated fat and calories and adds mushrooms for extra veggies. Serve with brown rice and make it extra special with a drizzle of sesame oil just before serving.
- 2 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce (see Tips)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black bean-garlic sauce (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cups water plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 14- to 16-ounce package water-packed soft tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Whisk chile-garlic sauce, black bean sauce, rice wine (or sherry), soy sauce and 1 1/4 cups water in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and mushrooms and cook, stirring and breaking up the turkey, until it is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Add scallions and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Add the reserved sauce; bring to a boil. Stir in tofu and cook until hot, about 2 minutes. Combine cornstarch with the remaining 2 tablespoons water and add to the pan. Simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: A blend of ground chiles, garlic and vinegar, chile-garlic sauce is commonly used to add heat and flavor to Asian soups, sauces and stir-fries. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets (sometimes labeled as chili-garlic sauce or paste) and keeps up to 1 year in the refrigerator.
- Black bean-garlic sauce is a savory sauce used in Chinese cooking, made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 325 calories; 18 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 1 g fiber; 451 mg sodium; 695 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (20% daily value), Iron (19% dv), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 4 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2013