Turkey Ma Po Tofu
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Ma Po Tofu is a traditional Chinese recipe usually made with ground pork. This delicious, healthy version uses ground turkey to cut saturated fat and calories and adds mushrooms for extra veggies. Serve with brown rice and make it extra special with a drizzle of sesame oil just before serving.
- 2 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce (see Tips)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black bean-garlic sauce (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cups water plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 14- to 16-ounce package water-packed soft tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Whisk chile-garlic sauce, black bean sauce, rice wine (or sherry), soy sauce and 1 1/4 cups water in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and mushrooms and cook, stirring and breaking up the turkey, until it is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Add scallions and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Add the reserved sauce; bring to a boil. Stir in tofu and cook until hot, about 2 minutes. Combine cornstarch with the remaining 2 tablespoons water and add to the pan. Simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: A blend of ground chiles, garlic and vinegar, chile-garlic sauce is commonly used to add heat and flavor to Asian soups, sauces and stir-fries. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets (sometimes labeled as chili-garlic sauce or paste) and keeps up to 1 year in the refrigerator.
- Black bean-garlic sauce is a savory sauce used in Chinese cooking, made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 325 calories; 18 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 1 g fiber; 451 mg sodium; 695 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (20% daily value), Iron (19% dv), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 4 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2013