Turkey Ma Po Tofu
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Ma Po Tofu is a traditional Chinese recipe usually made with ground pork. This delicious, healthy version uses ground turkey to cut saturated fat and calories and adds mushrooms for extra veggies. Serve with brown rice and make it extra special with a drizzle of sesame oil just before serving.
- 2 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce (see Tips)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black bean-garlic sauce (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cups water plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 14- to 16-ounce package water-packed soft tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Whisk chile-garlic sauce, black bean sauce, rice wine (or sherry), soy sauce and 1 1/4 cups water in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and mushrooms and cook, stirring and breaking up the turkey, until it is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Add scallions and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Add the reserved sauce; bring to a boil. Stir in tofu and cook until hot, about 2 minutes. Combine cornstarch with the remaining 2 tablespoons water and add to the pan. Simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: A blend of ground chiles, garlic and vinegar, chile-garlic sauce is commonly used to add heat and flavor to Asian soups, sauces and stir-fries. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets (sometimes labeled as chili-garlic sauce or paste) and keeps up to 1 year in the refrigerator.
- Black bean-garlic sauce is a savory sauce used in Chinese cooking, made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 325 calories; 18 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 1 g fiber; 451 mg sodium; 695 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (20% daily value), Iron (19% dv), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 4 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2013