From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
Finely chopped mushrooms, carrot, celery and onion practically melt into the turkey filling in this healthy makeover of classic meat lasagna. The picky eaters in your family will never guess that this lasagna is loaded with healthy vegetables.
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles, preferably whole-wheat
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, large ones cut in half
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean (90-93%) ground turkey or beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 24-ounce jar prepared marinara sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Italian blend shredded cheese or shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles; cook until not quite tender, about 2 minutes less than the package directions. Drain; return the noodles to the pot and cover with cool water. Set aside.
- With the food processor motor running, drop garlic through the feed tube and process until minced. Add mushrooms, carrot and celery and process until finely chopped. Turn the machine off, add onion and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey (or beef) and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the vegetable mixture, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, pepper and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms’ liquid has evaporated, the mixture has cooked down, the vegetables are soft and the skillet is dry, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Combine ricotta and egg in a medium bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- To assemble lasagna: Drain the noodles and spread out on a clean kitchen towel. Spread half the marinara in the prepared baking dish. Layer 3 noodles over the sauce. Spread half the ricotta mixture over the noodles. Top with half the meat mixture, one-third of the remaining marinara and one-third of the shredded cheese. Continue with another layer of noodles, the remaining ricotta, the remaining meat mixture, half the remaining marinara and half the remaining shredded cheese. Top with a third layer of noodles and the remaining marinara. Cover the lasagna with foil.
- Bake until bubbling, about 45 minutes. Remove the foil; sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top. Bake until the cheese is just melted but not browned, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let stand for 10 to 20 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 6; refrigerate for up to 1 day. In Step 7, bake the lasagna, covered, for 1 hour before removing foil and topping with cheese.
- Tip: Sneak some finely chopped vegetables into your ground-meat mixture for lasagna, meatloaf or chili to make servings generous but keep calories and fat in check.
Per serving: 400 calories; 16 g fat (7 g sat, 4 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 6 g fiber; 726 mg sodium; 685 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (46% daily value), Calcium (40% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Iron (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- The Simple Art of EatingWell