From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Kibbeh, a seasoned lamb and bulgur mixture, is one of the national dishes of Lebanon. It's often served raw, drizzled with olive oil, with slices of sharp white onion and fresh pita bread alongside, but is also baked or stuffed and deep-fried. This baked version uses lean ground turkey to cut fat and finely shredded zucchini to keep it moist while baking. Make it a meal: serve with toasted pita bread and a salad tossed with a lemon vinaigrette.
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 pounds 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium zucchini, finely shredded
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 medium cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray. Place bulgur in a small bowl and cover with hot water.
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in pine nuts.
- Drain the bulgur, pressing on it to remove any liquid. Transfer to a large bowl and add turkey, zucchini, marjoram, cumin, salt, allspice and cayenne. Gently mix until combined. Pat half the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the onion mixture, pressing it gently into the turkey layer. Cover with the rest of the turkey mixture, pressing gently into the onion layer. Cover with foil.
- Bake the kibbeh for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165° F, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- To prepare yogurt sauce & serve: While the kibbeh is baking, combine yogurt, cucumber, tomato and pepper in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Cut the kibbeh into 6 squares and serve warm with the yogurt sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, cover and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost in the refrigerator, then reheat in a 350°F oven.
- Tip: To toast pine nuts: Cook in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 296 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 4 g fiber; 397 mg sodium; 361 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- June/July 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)