Smoked Turkey, Kale & Rice Bake
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This hearty one-skillet dinner is loaded with celery, kale, tomatoes and quick-cooking brown rice. It’s easy to make the recipe vegetarian by substituting smoked tofu for the turkey.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 4 cups slivered kale leaves
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-fat, no-salt-added cottage cheese
- 1 cup instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 6 ounces smoked turkey breast or smoked tofu, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add kale and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the kale begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cottage cheese, rice, turkey (or tofu), water and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Stir the rice mixture, increase the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes. Spread cheese on top. Broil until the cheese is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 266 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (147% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2012