Smoked Turkey, Kale & Rice Bake
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This hearty one-skillet dinner is loaded with celery, kale, tomatoes and quick-cooking brown rice. It’s easy to make the recipe vegetarian by substituting smoked tofu for the turkey.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 4 cups slivered kale leaves
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-fat, no-salt-added cottage cheese
- 1 cup instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 6 ounces smoked turkey breast or smoked tofu, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add kale and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the kale begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cottage cheese, rice, turkey (or tofu), water and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Stir the rice mixture, increase the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes. Spread cheese on top. Broil until the cheese is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 266 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (147% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2012