Smoked Turkey, Kale & Rice Bake
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This hearty one-skillet dinner is loaded with celery, kale, tomatoes and quick-cooking brown rice. It’s easy to make the recipe vegetarian by substituting smoked tofu for the turkey.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 4 cups slivered kale leaves
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-fat, no-salt-added cottage cheese
- 1 cup instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 6 ounces smoked turkey breast or smoked tofu, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add kale and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the kale begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cottage cheese, rice, turkey (or tofu), water and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Stir the rice mixture, increase the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes. Spread cheese on top. Broil until the cheese is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 266 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 4 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (147% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2012