Turkey Giblet Stock
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
This easy turkey stock adds great flavor to the gravy, but you can use chicken broth instead with good results.
- Neck and giblets from a 10- to 12-pound turkey
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Combine neck and giblets (except liver), water, onion, carrot and celery in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add bay leaf, thyme and peppercorns. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming and discarding any foam, for 1 hour.
- Strain stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl and let cool. Discard solids.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Nutrition Note: After straining, the stock has few calories (about 25) and negligible nutrients except sodium (about 23 mg) per cup.
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Make ahead instructions
- Type of Dish
- November/December 2007