Turkey & Fontina Melts
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
An elegant presentation of turkey layered with spinach and cheese, yet surprisingly quick to make. Round out the meal with a side of whole-wheat pasta, a salad and a glass of Pinot Noir.
- 2 turkey cutlets, (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, (see Note)
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Fontina cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Position rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat broiler.
- Sprinkle both sides of turkey with flour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the turkey to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and shallot to the pan; cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add sherry and spinach; cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach is wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully mound equal portions of the spinach on top of the turkey. Transfer the spinach-topped turkey and any accumulated juices to the pan. Top the spinach with cheese and transfer to the oven. Broil until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the melts to 2 plates. Add the butter to the pan and whisk into the juices over medium-high heat until melted, about 30 seconds. Drizzle over the melts.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the "cooking sherry" sold in many supermarkets — it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 332 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 4 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 89 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- EatingWell Serves Two