Turkey Fingers with Maple-Mustard Sauce
Popular with both children and adults, this crispy, low-fat version of a perennial favorite will disappear faster than you expect. For a fruity alternative, substitute apricot jam for the maple syrup in the sauce.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup whole-grain mustard, divided
- 1 pound turkey tenderloins, center tendons removed, cut into finger-sized strips
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Set oven rack at lowest level and preheat oven to 450°F. Whisk together buttermilk and 2 teaspoons mustard in a large bowl. Add turkey and toss to coat. Combine cornmeal, flour, cumin, thyme and salt in another large bowl. Roll the turkey strips in the cornmeal mixture.
- Brush oil on a rimmed baking sheet, and place in the oven for 5 minutes. Transfer the turkey strips using tongs onto the hot baking sheet and return it to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the undersides of the strips are golden brown. Turn the strips over and bake until the turkey is golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 8 to 10 minutes longer.
- Combine maple syrup and the remaining 1/2 cup mustard in a small bowl. Serve the sauce alongside the hot turkey fingers.
Per serving: 319 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 742 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrates, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry