Turkey Fingers with Maple-Mustard Sauce
Popular with both children and adults, this crispy, low-fat version of a perennial favorite will disappear faster than you expect. For a fruity alternative, substitute apricot jam for the maple syrup in the sauce.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup whole-grain mustard, divided
- 1 pound turkey tenderloins, center tendons removed, cut into finger-sized strips
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Set oven rack at lowest level and preheat oven to 450°F. Whisk together buttermilk and 2 teaspoons mustard in a large bowl. Add turkey and toss to coat. Combine cornmeal, flour, cumin, thyme and salt in another large bowl. Roll the turkey strips in the cornmeal mixture.
- Brush oil on a rimmed baking sheet, and place in the oven for 5 minutes. Transfer the turkey strips using tongs onto the hot baking sheet and return it to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the undersides of the strips are golden brown. Turn the strips over and bake until the turkey is golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 8 to 10 minutes longer.
- Combine maple syrup and the remaining 1/2 cup mustard in a small bowl. Serve the sauce alongside the hot turkey fingers.
Per serving: 319 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 742 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrates, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique