Turkey Fingers with Maple-Mustard Sauce
Popular with both children and adults, this crispy, low-fat version of a perennial favorite will disappear faster than you expect. For a fruity alternative, substitute apricot jam for the maple syrup in the sauce.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup whole-grain mustard, divided
- 1 pound turkey tenderloins, center tendons removed, cut into finger-sized strips
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Set oven rack at lowest level and preheat oven to 450°F. Whisk together buttermilk and 2 teaspoons mustard in a large bowl. Add turkey and toss to coat. Combine cornmeal, flour, cumin, thyme and salt in another large bowl. Roll the turkey strips in the cornmeal mixture.
- Brush oil on a rimmed baking sheet, and place in the oven for 5 minutes. Transfer the turkey strips using tongs onto the hot baking sheet and return it to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the undersides of the strips are golden brown. Turn the strips over and bake until the turkey is golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 8 to 10 minutes longer.
- Combine maple syrup and the remaining 1/2 cup mustard in a small bowl. Serve the sauce alongside the hot turkey fingers.
Per serving: 319 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 742 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrates, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique