Smoked Turkey & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
This whole-grain farro salad recipe is studded with lean turkey, plenty of crunchy bell pepper, celery, smoked cheese and avocado—a perfect summer salad recipe to serve on a hot summer night. Look for farro—a quick-cooking high-fiber whole grain—in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores. Or skip Step 1 and add cooked barley as a substitute for the farro in Step 2. Serve with baby spinach salad with toasted almonds and creamy garlic dressing.
- 1 cup farro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 6-ounce slice deli smoked turkey (3/4 inch thick), skin removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup diced smoked cheese, such as Cheddar or Gouda
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, diced
- 3/4 cup slivered soft sun-dried tomatoes
- Place farro in a medium saucepan, add enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the farro is the desired tenderness, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, shallots and pepper in a large bowl. Add the farro, turkey, cheese, bell pepper, celery, avocado and sun-dried tomatoes; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate (without the avocado) for up to 1 day. Stir in avocado just before serving.
Per serving: 439 calories; 24 g fat (6 g sat, 14 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (109% daily value), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (16% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2012