Smoked Turkey & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
This whole-grain farro salad recipe is studded with lean turkey, plenty of crunchy bell pepper, celery, smoked cheese and avocado—a perfect summer salad recipe to serve on a hot summer night. Look for farro—a quick-cooking high-fiber whole grain—in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores. Or skip Step 1 and add cooked barley as a substitute for the farro in Step 2. Serve with baby spinach salad with toasted almonds and creamy garlic dressing.
- 1 cup farro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 6-ounce slice deli smoked turkey (3/4 inch thick), skin removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup diced smoked cheese, such as Cheddar or Gouda
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, diced
- 3/4 cup slivered soft sun-dried tomatoes
- Place farro in a medium saucepan, add enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the farro is the desired tenderness, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, shallots and pepper in a large bowl. Add the farro, turkey, cheese, bell pepper, celery, avocado and sun-dried tomatoes; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate (without the avocado) for up to 1 day. Stir in avocado just before serving.
Per serving: 439 calories; 24 g fat (6 g sat, 14 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (109% daily value), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (16% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2012