Smoked Turkey & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
This whole-grain farro salad recipe is studded with lean turkey, plenty of crunchy bell pepper, celery, smoked cheese and avocado—a perfect summer salad recipe to serve on a hot summer night. Look for farro—a quick-cooking high-fiber whole grain—in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores. Or skip Step 1 and add cooked barley as a substitute for the farro in Step 2. Serve with baby spinach salad with toasted almonds and creamy garlic dressing.
- 1 cup farro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 6-ounce slice deli smoked turkey (3/4 inch thick), skin removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup diced smoked cheese, such as Cheddar or Gouda
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, diced
- 3/4 cup slivered soft sun-dried tomatoes
- Place farro in a medium saucepan, add enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the farro is the desired tenderness, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, shallots and pepper in a large bowl. Add the farro, turkey, cheese, bell pepper, celery, avocado and sun-dried tomatoes; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate (without the avocado) for up to 1 day. Stir in avocado just before serving.
Per serving: 439 calories; 24 g fat (6 g sat, 14 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (109% daily value), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (16% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- July/August 2012