Smoked Turkey & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
This whole-grain farro salad recipe is studded with lean turkey, plenty of crunchy bell pepper, celery, smoked cheese and avocado—a perfect summer salad recipe to serve on a hot summer night. Look for farro—a quick-cooking high-fiber whole grain—in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores. Or skip Step 1 and add cooked barley as a substitute for the farro in Step 2. Serve with baby spinach salad with toasted almonds and creamy garlic dressing.
- 1 cup farro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 6-ounce slice deli smoked turkey (3/4 inch thick), skin removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup diced smoked cheese, such as Cheddar or Gouda
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, diced
- 3/4 cup slivered soft sun-dried tomatoes
- Place farro in a medium saucepan, add enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the farro is the desired tenderness, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, shallots and pepper in a large bowl. Add the farro, turkey, cheese, bell pepper, celery, avocado and sun-dried tomatoes; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate (without the avocado) for up to 1 day. Stir in avocado just before serving.
Per serving: 439 calories; 24 g fat (6 g sat, 14 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (109% daily value), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (16% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2012