Smoked Turkey & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
This whole-grain farro salad recipe is studded with lean turkey, plenty of crunchy bell pepper, celery, smoked cheese and avocado—a perfect summer salad recipe to serve on a hot summer night. Look for farro—a quick-cooking high-fiber whole grain—in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores. Or skip Step 1 and add cooked barley as a substitute for the farro in Step 2. Serve with baby spinach salad with toasted almonds and creamy garlic dressing.
- 1 cup farro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 6-ounce slice deli smoked turkey (3/4 inch thick), skin removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup diced smoked cheese, such as Cheddar or Gouda
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, diced
- 3/4 cup slivered soft sun-dried tomatoes
- Place farro in a medium saucepan, add enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the farro is the desired tenderness, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, shallots and pepper in a large bowl. Add the farro, turkey, cheese, bell pepper, celery, avocado and sun-dried tomatoes; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate (without the avocado) for up to 1 day. Stir in avocado just before serving.
Per serving: 439 calories; 24 g fat (6 g sat, 14 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (109% daily value), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (16% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- July/August 2012