Turkey Cutlets with Spicy Eggplant Relish
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
This elegant entrée is a refreshing change of pace from heavier holiday foods. Serve it on a cool bed of fresh salad greens.
- 1 eggplant (about pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread eggplant on the prepared baking sheet and roast until soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, ginger, fish sauce or soy sauce and sugar in a large bowl; stir to dissolve sugar. Add red and green peppers, onions, jalapeños, cilantro and the roasted eggplant; toss to combine and set aside.
- Season turkey with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the turkey and sauté until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining turkey in the same manner. Spoon the eggplant relish over the cutlets and serve.
Per serving: 209 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 387 mg sodium; 267 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 1995