Turkey Cutlets with Spicy Eggplant Relish
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
This elegant entrée is a refreshing change of pace from heavier holiday foods. Serve it on a cool bed of fresh salad greens.
- 1 eggplant (about pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread eggplant on the prepared baking sheet and roast until soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, ginger, fish sauce or soy sauce and sugar in a large bowl; stir to dissolve sugar. Add red and green peppers, onions, jalapeños, cilantro and the roasted eggplant; toss to combine and set aside.
- Season turkey with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the turkey and sauté until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining turkey in the same manner. Spoon the eggplant relish over the cutlets and serve.
Per serving: 209 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 387 mg sodium; 267 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1995