Turkey Cutlets with Spicy Eggplant Relish
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
This elegant entrée is a refreshing change of pace from heavier holiday foods. Serve it on a cool bed of fresh salad greens.
- 1 eggplant (about pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread eggplant on the prepared baking sheet and roast until soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, ginger, fish sauce or soy sauce and sugar in a large bowl; stir to dissolve sugar. Add red and green peppers, onions, jalapeños, cilantro and the roasted eggplant; toss to combine and set aside.
- Season turkey with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the turkey and sauté until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining turkey in the same manner. Spoon the eggplant relish over the cutlets and serve.
Per serving: 209 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 387 mg sodium; 267 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1995