Turkey Cutlets with Spicy Eggplant Relish
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
This elegant entrée is a refreshing change of pace from heavier holiday foods. Serve it on a cool bed of fresh salad greens.
- 1 eggplant (about pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread eggplant on the prepared baking sheet and roast until soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, ginger, fish sauce or soy sauce and sugar in a large bowl; stir to dissolve sugar. Add red and green peppers, onions, jalapeños, cilantro and the roasted eggplant; toss to combine and set aside.
- Season turkey with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the turkey and sauté until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining turkey in the same manner. Spoon the eggplant relish over the cutlets and serve.
Per serving: 209 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 387 mg sodium; 267 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1995