Turkey Cutlets with Spicy Eggplant Relish
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
This elegant entrée is a refreshing change of pace from heavier holiday foods. Serve it on a cool bed of fresh salad greens.
- 1 eggplant (about pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread eggplant on the prepared baking sheet and roast until soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, ginger, fish sauce or soy sauce and sugar in a large bowl; stir to dissolve sugar. Add red and green peppers, onions, jalapeños, cilantro and the roasted eggplant; toss to combine and set aside.
- Season turkey with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the turkey and sauté until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining turkey in the same manner. Spoon the eggplant relish over the cutlets and serve.
Per serving: 209 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 387 mg sodium; 267 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1995