Turkey Cutlets with Peas & Spring Onions
Peas and baby onions are harbingers of spring, the first sign that warm weather's on its way. With turkey cutlets and a simple white wine sauce, they pair up in this flavorful dish that calls out for mashed roots or steamed asparagus on the side.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound 1/4-inch-thick turkey breast cutlets, or steaks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bunch spring onions, or scallions, sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Whisk flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge each turkey cutlet (or steak) in the flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion (or scallion) whites and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are browned and the whites are slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, wine and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly reduced, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in peas and onion (or scallion) greens and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon zest. Nestle the turkey into the vegetables along with any accumulated juices from the plate. Cook, turning the cutlets once, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 313 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 571 mg sodium; 223 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (15% daily value), Vitamin A & C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Mother's Day
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique