Turkey Cutlets with Peas & Spring Onions
Peas and baby onions are harbingers of spring, the first sign that warm weather's on its way. With turkey cutlets and a simple white wine sauce, they pair up in this flavorful dish that calls out for mashed roots or steamed asparagus on the side.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound 1/4-inch-thick turkey breast cutlets, or steaks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bunch spring onions, or scallions, sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Whisk flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge each turkey cutlet (or steak) in the flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion (or scallion) whites and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are browned and the whites are slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, wine and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly reduced, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in peas and onion (or scallion) greens and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon zest. Nestle the turkey into the vegetables along with any accumulated juices from the plate. Cook, turning the cutlets once, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 313 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 571 mg sodium; 223 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (15% daily value), Vitamin A & C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Mother's Day
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry