Turkey Cutlets with Peas & Spring Onions
Peas and baby onions are harbingers of spring, the first sign that warm weather's on its way. With turkey cutlets and a simple white wine sauce, they pair up in this flavorful dish that calls out for mashed roots or steamed asparagus on the side.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound 1/4-inch-thick turkey breast cutlets, or steaks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bunch spring onions, or scallions, sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Whisk flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge each turkey cutlet (or steak) in the flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion (or scallion) whites and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are browned and the whites are slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, wine and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly reduced, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in peas and onion (or scallion) greens and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon zest. Nestle the turkey into the vegetables along with any accumulated juices from the plate. Cook, turning the cutlets once, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 313 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 571 mg sodium; 223 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (15% daily value), Vitamin A & C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Mother's Day
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry