Turkey Cutlets with Parsnips, Apples & Shiitakes
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Simple to prepare, the unusual combination of parsnips, apples and shiitakes becomes a rich-tasting sauce.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/4-inch sticks
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge turkey cutlets in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the cutlets and sauté until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining cutlets in the same manner, transferring them to the platter when they are cooked.
- Add parsnips, apples and shiitakes to the pan and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add vinegar and stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add broth and simmer over medium heat until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in sage. Spoon the vegetables and sauce over the turkey and serve.
Per serving: 220 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 1995