Turkey Cutlets with Parsnips, Apples & Shiitakes
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Simple to prepare, the unusual combination of parsnips, apples and shiitakes becomes a rich-tasting sauce.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/4-inch sticks
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge turkey cutlets in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the cutlets and sauté until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining cutlets in the same manner, transferring them to the platter when they are cooked.
- Add parsnips, apples and shiitakes to the pan and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add vinegar and stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add broth and simmer over medium heat until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in sage. Spoon the vegetables and sauce over the turkey and serve.
Per serving: 220 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1995