Turkey Cutlets with Parsnips, Apples & Shiitakes
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Simple to prepare, the unusual combination of parsnips, apples and shiitakes becomes a rich-tasting sauce.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/4-inch sticks
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge turkey cutlets in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the cutlets and sauté until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining cutlets in the same manner, transferring them to the platter when they are cooked.
- Add parsnips, apples and shiitakes to the pan and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add vinegar and stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add broth and simmer over medium heat until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in sage. Spoon the vegetables and sauce over the turkey and serve.
Per serving: 220 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1995