Turkey Cutlets with Parsnips, Apples & Shiitakes
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Simple to prepare, the unusual combination of parsnips, apples and shiitakes becomes a rich-tasting sauce.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/4-inch sticks
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge turkey cutlets in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the cutlets and sauté until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining cutlets in the same manner, transferring them to the platter when they are cooked.
- Add parsnips, apples and shiitakes to the pan and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add vinegar and stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add broth and simmer over medium heat until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in sage. Spoon the vegetables and sauce over the turkey and serve.
Per serving: 220 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1995