Turkey Cutlets with Parsnips, Apples & Shiitakes
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Simple to prepare, the unusual combination of parsnips, apples and shiitakes becomes a rich-tasting sauce.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/4-inch sticks
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge turkey cutlets in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the cutlets and sauté until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining cutlets in the same manner, transferring them to the platter when they are cooked.
- Add parsnips, apples and shiitakes to the pan and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add vinegar and stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add broth and simmer over medium heat until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in sage. Spoon the vegetables and sauce over the turkey and serve.
Per serving: 220 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1995