Turkey Cutlets with Cranberry Compote
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
A flavorful cranberry-orange compote is a tangy accompaniment to quick-cooking turkey cutlets. Make it a meal: Serve with Glazed Rutabagas & Potatoes and Garlicky Green Beans.
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, thinly sliced, (about cup)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, or 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in cranberries, orange zest and juice, sugar and vinegar; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries begin to pop and the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Add grated apples and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge turkey cutlets in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in another nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the cutlets and cook until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining cutlets in the same manner. Spoon the cranberry compote over the cutlets and serve.
Per serving: 256 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 296 mg sodium; 179 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- November/December 1995