Turkey Cutlets with Cranberry Compote
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
A flavorful cranberry-orange compote is a tangy accompaniment to quick-cooking turkey cutlets. Make it a meal: Serve with Glazed Rutabagas & Potatoes and Garlicky Green Beans.
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, thinly sliced, (about cup)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, or 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in cranberries, orange zest and juice, sugar and vinegar; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries begin to pop and the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Add grated apples and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge turkey cutlets in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in another nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the cutlets and cook until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining cutlets in the same manner. Spoon the cranberry compote over the cutlets and serve.
Per serving: 256 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 296 mg sodium; 179 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1995