Turkey Cutlets with Cranberry Compote
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
A flavorful cranberry-orange compote is a tangy accompaniment to quick-cooking turkey cutlets. Make it a meal: Serve with Glazed Rutabagas & Potatoes and Garlicky Green Beans.
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, thinly sliced, (about cup)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, or 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in cranberries, orange zest and juice, sugar and vinegar; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries begin to pop and the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Add grated apples and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge turkey cutlets in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in another nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the cutlets and cook until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining cutlets in the same manner. Spoon the cranberry compote over the cutlets and serve.
Per serving: 256 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 296 mg sodium; 179 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1995