Turkey Cutlets with Cranberry Compote
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
A flavorful cranberry-orange compote is a tangy accompaniment to quick-cooking turkey cutlets. Make it a meal: Serve with Glazed Rutabagas & Potatoes and Garlicky Green Beans.
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, thinly sliced, (about cup)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, or 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey cutlets, (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in cranberries, orange zest and juice, sugar and vinegar; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries begin to pop and the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Add grated apples and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge turkey cutlets in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in another nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the cutlets and cook until golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook the remaining cutlets in the same manner. Spoon the cranberry compote over the cutlets and serve.
Per serving: 256 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 296 mg sodium; 179 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- November/December 1995