Turkey Cutlets with Cider-Dijon Sauce
This terrific recipe illustrates the basic principles of a sauté: First dredge the cutlets in flour so they brown beautifully, then cook them quickly in a hot skillet. Finally, splash one or more flavorful liquids (such as wine, broth or, here, cider) into the pan to create an instant sauce.
- 3 tablespoons instant or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound turkey cutlets
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 cup apple cider, or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Combine flour, thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper and cayenne in a shallow pan. Dredge turkey lightly in the flour mixture, shaking off excess. (Discard any leftover flour.)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the turkey and cook until golden outside and no longer pink inside, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Saut&Atilde;&copy; the remaining turkey in another 1 teaspoon oil; add to the previous batch.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add cider (or juice) and mustard. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in any accumulated juices from the turkey. Divide turkey among 4 plates and spoon sauce over. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Instant flour, such as Wondra, creates an especially light, crisp crust on sautéed fillets of meat or fish.
Per serving: 268 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 8 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 0 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (10% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry