Turkey Cutlets with Cider-Dijon Sauce
This terrific recipe illustrates the basic principles of a sauté: First dredge the cutlets in flour so they brown beautifully, then cook them quickly in a hot skillet. Finally, splash one or more flavorful liquids (such as wine, broth or, here, cider) into the pan to create an instant sauce.
- 3 tablespoons instant or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound turkey cutlets
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 cup apple cider, or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Combine flour, thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper and cayenne in a shallow pan. Dredge turkey lightly in the flour mixture, shaking off excess. (Discard any leftover flour.)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the turkey and cook until golden outside and no longer pink inside, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Saut&Atilde;&copy; the remaining turkey in another 1 teaspoon oil; add to the previous batch.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add cider (or juice) and mustard. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in any accumulated juices from the turkey. Divide turkey among 4 plates and spoon sauce over. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Instant flour, such as Wondra, creates an especially light, crisp crust on sautéed fillets of meat or fish.
Per serving: 268 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 8 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 0 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (10% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique