Turkey Cutlets with Cider-Dijon Sauce
This terrific recipe illustrates the basic principles of a sauté: First dredge the cutlets in flour so they brown beautifully, then cook them quickly in a hot skillet. Finally, splash one or more flavorful liquids (such as wine, broth or, here, cider) into the pan to create an instant sauce.
- 3 tablespoons instant or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound turkey cutlets
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 cup apple cider, or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Combine flour, thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper and cayenne in a shallow pan. Dredge turkey lightly in the flour mixture, shaking off excess. (Discard any leftover flour.)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the turkey and cook until golden outside and no longer pink inside, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Saut&Atilde;&copy; the remaining turkey in another 1 teaspoon oil; add to the previous batch.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add cider (or juice) and mustard. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in any accumulated juices from the turkey. Divide turkey among 4 plates and spoon sauce over. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Instant flour, such as Wondra, creates an especially light, crisp crust on sautéed fillets of meat or fish.
Per serving: 268 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 8 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 0 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (10% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique