Turkey Cutlets with Cider-Dijon Sauce
This terrific recipe illustrates the basic principles of a sauté: First dredge the cutlets in flour so they brown beautifully, then cook them quickly in a hot skillet. Finally, splash one or more flavorful liquids (such as wine, broth or, here, cider) into the pan to create an instant sauce.
- 3 tablespoons instant or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound turkey cutlets
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 cup apple cider, or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Combine flour, thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper and cayenne in a shallow pan. Dredge turkey lightly in the flour mixture, shaking off excess. (Discard any leftover flour.)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the turkey and cook until golden outside and no longer pink inside, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Saut&Atilde;&copy; the remaining turkey in another 1 teaspoon oil; add to the previous batch.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add cider (or juice) and mustard. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in any accumulated juices from the turkey. Divide turkey among 4 plates and spoon sauce over. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Instant flour, such as Wondra, creates an especially light, crisp crust on sautéed fillets of meat or fish.
Per serving: 268 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 8 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 0 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (10% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique