Turkey Burgers with Mango Chutney
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Mango chutney and grilled red onion flavor this quick turkey burger. Serve with grilled baby red potatoes and a frosty beer.
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, divided
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney (see Tips), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side.
- Finely chop enough onion rounds to equal 1/3 cup. Combine the chopped onion with turkey, 1 tablespoon chutney and salt in a medium bowl; gently mix with your hands until well combined. Form into 4 burgers, about 1/2 inch thick and oval-shaped to match the shape of the bread.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the remaining onion rounds until softened and blackened in spots, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill the burgers until cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Grill the bread, cut-side down, until just beginning to char on the edges, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the remaining mango chutney on the bottom pieces of baguette. Top with a turkey burger, grilled onion and lettuce. Cover with the remaining bread.
Tips & Notes
- Look for prepared mango chutney—a sweet, tangy and spicy condiment—near other Indian ingredients in the international aisle at most supermarkets.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 345 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 735 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (41% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010