Turkey Burgers with Mango Chutney
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Mango chutney and grilled red onion flavor this quick turkey burger. Serve with grilled baby red potatoes and a frosty beer.
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, divided
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney (see Tips), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side.
- Finely chop enough onion rounds to equal 1/3 cup. Combine the chopped onion with turkey, 1 tablespoon chutney and salt in a medium bowl; gently mix with your hands until well combined. Form into 4 burgers, about 1/2 inch thick and oval-shaped to match the shape of the bread.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the remaining onion rounds until softened and blackened in spots, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill the burgers until cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Grill the bread, cut-side down, until just beginning to char on the edges, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the remaining mango chutney on the bottom pieces of baguette. Top with a turkey burger, grilled onion and lettuce. Cover with the remaining bread.
Tips & Notes
- Look for prepared mango chutney—a sweet, tangy and spicy condiment—near other Indian ingredients in the international aisle at most supermarkets.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 345 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 735 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (41% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010