Turkey Burgers with Mango Chutney
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Mango chutney and grilled red onion flavor this quick turkey burger. Serve with grilled baby red potatoes and a frosty beer.
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, divided
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney (see Tips), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side.
- Finely chop enough onion rounds to equal 1/3 cup. Combine the chopped onion with turkey, 1 tablespoon chutney and salt in a medium bowl; gently mix with your hands until well combined. Form into 4 burgers, about 1/2 inch thick and oval-shaped to match the shape of the bread.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the remaining onion rounds until softened and blackened in spots, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill the burgers until cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Grill the bread, cut-side down, until just beginning to char on the edges, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the remaining mango chutney on the bottom pieces of baguette. Top with a turkey burger, grilled onion and lettuce. Cover with the remaining bread.
Tips & Notes
- Look for prepared mango chutney—a sweet, tangy and spicy condiment—near other Indian ingredients in the international aisle at most supermarkets.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 345 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 735 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (41% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010