From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Nutty barley and earthy, sweet root vegetables supplement leftover turkey to create a homey soup with an old-fashioned flavor. To shorten cooking time, substitute quick-cooking barley for pearl barley; add carrots and parsnips with the barley and simmer the soup for about 20 minutes total.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups Essential Turkey Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 cups diced skinless cooked turkey, (8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- Heat oil in heavy soup pot (4- to 6-quart capacity) over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add barley and stir to coat. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Skim off any froth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and parsnips. Cover and simmer until the barley and vegetables are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add turkey and simmer until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Add dill, lemon juice and pepper. Taste and add salt, if needed. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 170 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 438 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (52% daily value), Selenium (26% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)