From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Nutty barley and earthy, sweet root vegetables supplement leftover turkey to create a homey soup with an old-fashioned flavor. To shorten cooking time, substitute quick-cooking barley for pearl barley; add carrots and parsnips with the barley and simmer the soup for about 20 minutes total.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups Essential Turkey Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 cups diced skinless cooked turkey, (8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- Heat oil in heavy soup pot (4- to 6-quart capacity) over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add barley and stir to coat. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Skim off any froth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and parsnips. Cover and simmer until the barley and vegetables are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add turkey and simmer until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Add dill, lemon juice and pepper. Taste and add salt, if needed. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 170 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 438 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (52% daily value), Selenium (26% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)