From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Nutty barley and earthy, sweet root vegetables supplement leftover turkey to create a homey soup with an old-fashioned flavor. To shorten cooking time, substitute quick-cooking barley for pearl barley; add carrots and parsnips with the barley and simmer the soup for about 20 minutes total.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups Essential Turkey Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 cups diced skinless cooked turkey, (8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- Heat oil in heavy soup pot (4- to 6-quart capacity) over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add barley and stir to coat. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Skim off any froth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and parsnips. Cover and simmer until the barley and vegetables are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add turkey and simmer until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Add dill, lemon juice and pepper. Taste and add salt, if needed. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 170 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 438 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (52% daily value), Selenium (26% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)